The 4th of July provides the perfect backdrop for enjoying time with friends and family AND enjoying some great picnic-style food. This 4th, incorporate some natural essentials to make your gathering more healthy and delicious. Here are some of our favorite natural foods and recipe ideas to make this 4th one to remember. Also, make sure to check us out this Wednesday on Daybreak to see us chat about them.
Natural Denver Hot Dog Recipe
The Mile-High City deserves a hot dog with miles of flavor. A touch of sour cream tames the heat of roasted green chile sauce, chopped onions, and jalapeños. By using natural hot dogs from Applegate, your family and friends will be able to enjoy a pure, great-tasting dog that is antibiotic and hormone free and made with no added chemical nitrates. The dogs also have fewer calories, 50 percent less fat and 40 percent less sodium per serving than conventional hot dogs. In fact, there are only four ingredients in their classic beef dog – beef, water, sea salt and spices.
- 1 package Applegate Great Organic Beef Hot Dogs
- 1 package hot dog buns, toasted
- Green Chile Sauce (see recipe below) If you would like to utilize an already cooked green chili, check out Colorado Green Chili. It is delicious!
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
Green Chile Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chopped roasted green chile
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grill hot dogs to desired doneness.
- Arrange hot dogs in toasted buns and top with green chile.
- Dollop 1 tablespoon sour cream over each hot dog and top with a scattering of finely chopped onions and jalapeños.
Green Chile Sauce
This sauce, made with roasted green chiles, is served all over New Mexico and parts of Colorado. Depending on the heat of the chiles (much of their power lies in the seeds and ribs), it can range from mild to incendiary. Locals will eat green chile on almost anything. Try it over fried eggs, tucked into a burrito, or with grilled steak.
Makes about 4 cups.
- Heat the oil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the green chile, chicken stock, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
For more hot dog recipes from other cities, please visit www.applegate.com.
Natural Potato Salad Makeover
You can also give your potato salad makeover by updating it with some fabulous natural products. First, you can utilize high quality eggs from Vital Farms. This unique farm sources the very best organic feed they can find, which is certified organic and free from GMO corn, hormones, and pesticides. They also make sure that hens are able to roam free and live outdoors in a healthy environment. This leads to happier and healthier animals and more nutrition eggs. Also, instead of going for those chemical-tasting pickles, opt for those from Tru Pickles. This family recipe features Fresh Cucumbers, Water, Vinegar, Salt, Garlic, Peppers, Grape Leaf, Dill Seed and no fat, no calories and no artificial colors, oils or emulsifiers. We think that they are the best tasting pickles we have ever tried! Also, give your potato salad a natural zing, by utilizing Newman’s Own Zesty Italian Dressing. Newman’s was a natural foods pioneer and one of the first to focus on using pure ingredients in their products and not a bunch of artificial preservatives.
Healthy Patriotic Yogurt Pops
These simple yogurt pops are a fun and healthy treat that kids of all ages will enjoy. Start with a high quality yogurt like that from Noosa Yoghurt. This Aussie-style yoghurt is thick and creamy and features all natural ingredients and rBgh free milk (cows not treated with growth hormones) directly from Morning Fresh Dairy, which has been family owned since 1894. To make your healthy patriotic yogurt pop, simply slightly stir and layer some of the strawberry rhubarb, blueberry and honey flavors in a popsicle mold and freeze to create delicious red, white and blue pops.