By: Dayna Copeland Schaef
Sometimes it may seem overwhelming and expensive to promote good health. Read our suggestions for the best things you can do to improve your health without spending a cent.
1. Drink Plenty of Water – Dehydration can cause a myriad of health issues, including: heartburn, ulcers, colitis, arthritis, allergies and even diabetes. Visit the water cooler once an hour to keep your body optimally hydrated and prevent headaches and energy deficits.
2. Soak up the Sun – Moderate sun exposure sans sunscreen can actually benefit your health. Catching a few rays every day can boost your vitamin D production, an essential nutrient for strong bones. Sunshine can also improve your mood and overall mental health.
3. Turn off the TV – A recent study suggests that watching large amounts of television has a direct connection to developing certain diseases like type 2 Diabetes, Heart disease and eventual early death. Turning off the television will prompt you to become more physically active, more productive and more interactive with your family and friends, all of which lead to better health.
4. Meditate – It is not necessary to take a meditation class, or to follow any certain format when meditating, just the act of sitting quietly, breathing deeply and looking inward for solitude can have incredible health benefits, including: reduced anxiety, increased energy, weight loss, increased mental sharpness and physical strength and much more.
5. Laugh – Whether you’re laughing at a funny joke, a funny face or, let’s be honest, a funny noise (and who can resist that,) getting a good chuckle can do wonders for a healthy body. Laughter relaxes your muscles, releasing endorphins, which are the “feel good” hormones that can even temporarily relieve pain.
6. Talk it Out – Internalizing issues can really eat away at your overall health, causing stress, unwanted weight gain/loss, insomnia, ulcers and increased blood pressure. Constant communication in your personal and professional relationships can really help you sleep at night.
7. Sleep In – Speaking of sleeping, getting a few extra minutes of rest can lead to a much better day, increasing your mental sharpness, memory and reaction/reflex time, and who doesn’t love to press snooze a few times.
8. Stretch – As soon as you get out of bed in the morning, and again, before you get back in it each night, a little light stretching can reduce aches and pains, prevent headaches and improve your overall mood.
9. Linger in a Hug – Intimate touch releases the “love hormone” oxytocin which increases a person’s mood, promotes healthy heart and blood circulation and reduces feelings of fear and anxiety.
10. Go For a Hike – Or a walk, or a bike ride, a swim, a jog or just jump around with your dog. Raising your heart rate for thirty minutes a day can help you maintain a healthy weight, improve your circulation, increase your endorphins and improve your heart’s health.
Do you have interesting wellness ideas to share? Connect with Natural Products Network to find out how to become a Wellness Warrior.